Publications of 2015
Refereed Journal Articles, Published
- De La Torre A, PK Ingvarsson, SN Aitken (2015). Genetic architecture and genomic patterns of gene flow between hybridizing species of Picea Heredity doi: 10.1038/hdy.2015.19
- Hamilton JA, AR De La Torre, SN Aitken (2015). Fine-scale environmental variation contributes to introgression in a three-species spruce hybrid complex Tree Genetics and Genomes 11: 1-14.
- Wang H, F Cao, G Li, W Yu, SN Aitken (2015). The transcript profiles of a putative early light-induced protein (ELIP) encoding gene in Ginkgo biloba L. under various stress conditions Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 37: 1-12
- Aitken S, Simard S (2015). Restoring forests Alternatives Journal 41: 30-33.
- Potvin C, S Aitken, F Antil, E Bennett, F Berkes, J Byrne, I Creed, A Cunsolo Willox, A Dale, D de Lange, M Entz, L. Fraser, G Hoberg and 46 other Canadian academics (2015). Acting on climate change: Solutions from Canadian scholars UNESCO Chair for dialogues on Sustainability, Trottier Institute for Science and Public Policy, and Sustainable Canada Dialogues.
- Dou, X., Chen, B., Black, T.A., Jassal, R.S., Che, M., 2015. Impact of nitrogen fertilization on carbon and water fluxes in a chronosequence of three Douglas-fir stands in the Pacific Northwest. Forests 6(6), 1897-1921; DOI:10.3390/f6061897.
- Ferster, C.J., Trofymow, J.A., Coops, N.C., Chen, B., Black, T.A. 2015. Comparison of carbon-stock changes, eddy-covariance carbon fluxes and model estimates in coastal Douglas-fir stands in British Columbia. Forest Ecosystems 2, 13 DOI 10.1186/s40663-015-0038-3.
- Wu, X., Ju, W., Y. Zhou, M. He, B.E. Law, T.A. Black, H.A. Margolis, A. Cescatti, L. Gu, L. Montagnani, A. Noormets, T.J. Griffis, K. Pilegaard, A. Varlagin, R. Valentini, P.D. Blanken, S. Wang, H. Wang, S. Han, J. Yan, Y. Li, B. Zhou, Y. Liu. 2015. Performance of linear and nonlinear two-leaf light use efficiency models at different temporal scales. Remote Sensing 7, 2238-2278; DOI:10.3390/rs70302238.
- Wang, S., Pan, M., Mu, Q., Shi, X., Mao, J., Brümmer, C., Jassal, R.S., Krishnan, P., Li, J., Black, T.A. 2015. Comparing evapotranspiration from eddy covariance measurements, water budgets, remote sensing, and land surface models over Canada. Journal of Hydrometeorology 16: 1540-1560 DOI: 10.1175/JHM-D-14-0189.1.
- Jassal, R.S., Mark S. Johnson, M.S., Molodovskaya, M., Black, T.A., Jollymore, A., Sveinson, K. 2015. Nitrogen enrichment potential of biochar in relation to pyrolysis temperature and feedstock quality. Journal of Environmental Management. 152, 140-144.
- Paul-Limoges, E., Black, T.A., Christen, A., Nesic, Z., Jassal, R.S. 2015. Effect of clearcut harvesting on the carbon balance of a Douglas-fir forest. Agric. For. Meteorol 203, 30-42.
- Krayenhoff S., Santiago J.-L. , Martilli A., Christen A., Oke T.R. (2015): ‘Parametrization of drag and turbulence for urban neighbourhoods with trees’.Bound.-Layer Meteorol., 156 (2), 157-189. → Article
- Adderley C. , Christen A., Voogt J.A. (2015): ‘The effect of radiometer placement and view on inferred directional and hemispheric radiometric temperatures of an urban canopy’. Atmos. Meas. Tech., 8, 2699-2714. → Article
- Crawford B., Christen A. (2015): ‘Spatial source attribution of measured urban eddy covariance carbon dioxide fluxes’. Theor. Appl. Climatol., 119 (3-4), 733-755. → Article
- Paul-Limoges E., Black T.A., Christen A., Nesic Z., Jassal R.S. (2015): ‘Effect of clearcut harvesting on the carbon balance of a Douglas-fir forest’.Agr. Forest Meteorol., 203, 30-42. → Article
- Johnson, M.S., M.J. Lathuilliere, T.R. Tooke and N.C. Coops (2015). Attenuation of urban agricultural production potential and crop water footprint due to shading from buildings and trees. Environmental Research Letters 10:064007. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/10/6/064007 pdf
- Eykelbosh A.J., M.S. Johnson, and E.G. Couto (2015). Biochar decreases dissolved organic carbon but not nitrate leaching in relation to vinasse application in a Brazilian sugarcane soil. Journal of Environmental Management 149:9-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.09.033 pdf
- Mello, J. M., E.G. Couto, R.S.S. Amorim, L.A. Chig, M.S. Johnson, and F.A. Lobo (2015), Dynamics of chemical and physical attributes and seasonal variation of soil carbon stocks in different vegetation types of Northern Pantanal of Mato Grosso, Revista Árvore 39: 325-336. doi: 10.1590/0100-67622015000200012 pdf
- Jassal, R.S., M.S. Johnson, M. Molodovskaya, T.A. Black, A.J. Jollymore, K. Sveinson (2015). Nitrogen enrichment potential of biochar in relation to pyrolysis temperature and feedstock quality. Journal of Environmental Management 152:140-144. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2015.01.021 pdf
- Krzic, M. , A.A. Bomke, M. Sylvestre, and S.J. Brown. 2015. Teaching sustainable soil management: A framework for using problem-based learning. Natural Sci. Edu. 44: 43-50.
- Thiel, B., S. Smukler, M. Krzic, S. Gergel, and C.Terpsma.. Farmland hedgerow carbon storage and biodiversity in the Fraser River Delta of British Columbia. Accepted by Journal of Soil and Water Conservation on Mar 1, 2015.
- Augusto, L., De Schrijver, A., Vesterdal, L., Smolander, A., Prescott, C., & Ranger, J. (2015). Influences of evergreen gymnosperm and deciduous angiosperm tree species on the functioning of temperate and boreal forests.Biological Reviews, 90(2), 444-466.
- Simard, S.W., Asay, A.K., Beiler, K.J., Bingham, M.A., Deslippe, J.R., He, X.,Philip, L.J., Song, Y., Teste, F.P. (2015). Resource transfer between plants through ectomycorrhizal networks – In: Mycorrhizal Networks. Edited by T. R. Horton. Springer.
- Gorzelak, M. A., Asay, A. K., Pickles, B. J., & Simard, S. W. (2015). Inter-plant communication through mycorrhizal networks mediates complex adaptive behaviour in plant communities. AoB plants, plv050.
- Pickles, B.J., Wilhelm, R., Asay, A.K., Hahn, A., Simard, S.W, and Mohn, W.W (2015). Mycorrhizal dominate belowground carbon assimilation and transfer among Douglas-fir seedlings. ISME Journal.
- Pec, G.J., Karst, J., Sywenky, A.N., Cigan, P.W., Erbilgin, N., Simard, S.W., Cahill, J.F. Jr. (2015). Rapid increases in forest understory diversity and productivity following a mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae) outbreak in pine forests. PLoS ONE. 10(4): e0124691.
Published, PLoS ONE.
- Paudel, S., Nitschke, C.R., Simard, S.W., and Innes, J.L.(2015). Regeneration dynamics of white spruce, trembling aspen and balsam poplar in response to disturbance, climatic and edaphic factors in the cold dry boreal forests of the southwest Yukon, Canada. Journal of Forestry.
Published, Society of American Foresters,
- Paudel, S., Simard, S.W., Nitschke, C.R. and Innes, J.L.(2015). Climate variation and disturbance regime affect stand composition and structure of the boreal forests in Southwest Yukon of Canada. Open Journal of Forestry. 5(4): 337-352.
- Roach W.J., Simard S.W., Sachs D.L.(2015). Evidence against planting lodgepole pine monocultures in cedar-hemlock forests in southern British Columbia.Forestry. 88(3): 345-358.
- Song, Y.Y., Simard, S.W., Caroll, A., Mohn, W.W., Zheng, R.(2015). Defoliation of interior Douglasfir elicits carbon transfer and defense signaling to ponderosa pine neighbors through ectomycorrhizal networks. Scientific Reports. 5(8495): 1-9.
- Karst, J., Erbilgin, N., Pec, G.J., Cigan, P.W., Najar, A., Simard, S.W., Cahill Jr., J.F.(2015). Bark beetlecaused tree mortality elicits transgenerational cascades on pine seedlings through fungal mutualisms. New Phytologist. 95(4): 1096-1103.
- Simard, S.W.(2015). Conversations in the forest: The roots of Nature’s equanimity. SGI Quarterly. 79: 8-9.
- Pickles, B.J., Twieg, B.D., O’Neill, G.A., Simard, S.W., Mohn W.W.(2015). Local adaptation in migrated interior Douglas-fir seedlings is mediated by ectomycorrhizae and other soil factors. New Phytologist. 27(3): 858-871.
- Beiler, K.J., Simrd, S.W., Durall, D.M.(2015). Topology of Rhizopogon spp. mycorrhizal meta-networks in xeric and mesic old-growth interior Douglas-fir forests. Journal of Ecology. 103(3): 616-628.
- Simard, S.W., Asay, A.K., Beiler, K.J., Bingham, M.A., Deslippe, J.R., He, X., Philip, L.J., Song, Y., Teste, F.P.(2015). Resource transfer between plants through ectomycorrhizal networks. Mycorrhizal Networks. Editors: T. R. Horton
- Simard, S.W. and Durall, D.M.(2015). Topology of Rhizopogon spp. mycorrhizal metanetworks in xeric and mesic old-growth interior Douglas-fir forests. Journal of Ecology. 103(3): 616-628.
- Aitken, S.N. and Simard, S.W.(2015). Restoring forests. Alternatives Journal. 41(1): 30-33.Published.
- Turmel, M.-S., A. Speratti, F. Baudron, N. Verhulst, B. Govaerts. 2015. Crop residue management and soil health: A systems analysis. Agricultural Systems, 134: 6-16.
- Bennett, N. J., Govan, H., & Satterfield, T. (2015). Ocean grabbing. Marine Policy, 57, 61-68.
- Levine, J., Chan, K. M., & Satterfield, T. (2015). From rational actor to efficient complexity manager: Exorcising the ghost of Homo economicus with a unified synthesis of cognition research. Ecological Economics, 114, 22-32.
- Gould, R. K., Klain, S. C., Ardoin, N. M., Satterfield, T., Woodside, U., Hannahs, N., & Chan, K. M. (2015). A protocol for eliciting nonmaterial values through a cultural ecosystem services frame. Conservation Biology,29(2), 575-586.
Refereed Journal Articles, Submitted:
- Pickles, B.J., Wilhelm, R., Asay, A.K., Hahn, A., Simard, S.W.(2015). Carbon assimilation by soil communities: mycorrhizae dominate the uptake and sub-service transfer of carbon between paired Douglas-fir seedlings. New Phytologist.
- Baleshta, K.E,. Simard, S.W., Roach, W.J.(2015). Evidence of kin recognition in conifers and the role of mycorrhizal networks. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 30(1): 1-11.
- Zustovic M. and Simard, S.W., “Forest canopy gap size affects the regeneration potential of interior Douglas-fir through environmental properties and mycorrhizal networks” Forest Science, Submission date : Aug 31, 2015
- Lee-Yaw, J.A, H.M. Kharouba, C. Mahony, M. Bontrager, A.M. Csergő, A.M.E. Noreen, R. Schuster, Q. Li, and A.L. Angert. Submitted. A synthesis of transplant experiments and ecological niche models suggests that range limits are often niche limits. Ecological Letters. Submitted August 20th, 2015.
- Hotte, N., C. Mahony, and H. Nelson. Unpublished. Using cost-benefit analysis to analyze public investment in natural resources management under climate change: an example in forestry. Global Environmental Change. Submitted July 20, 2015.
- Nelson, H., T.B. Williamson, C. Macauley, and C. Mahony. Unpublished. Assessing the potential for forest management practitioner participation in climate change adaptation. Forest Ecology and Management. Submitted June 11, 2015.
- Simard, S.W.,Asay, A.K., Bingham, M.A., Deslippe, J.R., He, X., Philip, L.J., Song, Y. Teste, F.P.(2015). “Resource transfer between plants through ectomycorrhizal networks”. T.R. Horton Springer, in press. Mycorrhizal Networks.
- Simard, S.W.(2015). The real web of life. Trevor Goward. Speak to the Wild. Submitted
Conferences Presentations and Posters
- Simard, S.W (2015). Restoring forests after the tailings dam breach at Mount Polley. by Imperial Metals, Horsefly, Canada
- Simard, S.W (2015). Brushing and free-growing: current research. Resource Practices Branch, Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources Operations, Victoria, Canada
- Simard, S.W (2015). Climate change: myths and realities. Peter Wall Institute, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Simard, S.W (2015). The hidden language of trees. G3 Green Gardens Group, Keynote at the Urban Soil WaterCarbon Summit, Los Angeles, United States
- Simard, S.W (2015). The subterranean language of trees. Invited by the Alberta Soil Science Society. 52nd Annual Soil Science Workshop, Edmonton, Canada
- Amerongen Maddison J. 2015. Shroomroot: an attempt to build and engaging and educational game. Lightning talk at CONFORwest in Friday Harbor, Washington.
- Amerongen Maddison J, Simard S. 2015. Investigating defense-related information transfer between Douglas-fir trees via ectomycorrhizal networks. Poster presented at the International Conference on Mycorrhiza 8 in Flagstaff, Arizona.
- Defrenne C. (2015) Carbon storage and related soil properties in a coastal temperate rainforest: a case study on the legacy of past disturbance in Southern British Columbia. February, 2015 The Annual Pacific Ecology and Evolution Conference, Bamfield, BC.
- Mahony, C. 2015. Susceptibility to novel climates: Trajectories of climate change beyond North Americas’ climatic boundaries. Poster presentation at the International Conference on Climate Change: Impacts and Responses. Vancouver, BC. April 10-11, 2015.
- Larocque A. (2015) “Fish, Forests, Fungi: The Role of Mycorrhizae in Salmon Forests”. Pacific Evolution and Ecology Conference; Bamfield, BC (regional).
- “Aerial Bold”. Benedikt Groß & Joey Lee. IEEE VisAP 2015. Exhibition. Chicago, IL, October 2015
- “A Mobile Sensor Network to Map CO2 in Urban Environments”. Lee, JK (Presenting Author), Christen, A., Nesic, Z., Ketler, R. International Conference on Urban Climates, Toulouse, France, July 2015
- Meyer, G., Black, T.A., Nesic, Z., Jassal, R.S., Grant, N.J., Spittlehouse, D.L., Fredeen, A.L., Christen, A., Foord, V.N., Bowler, R. (2015). Evapotranspiration and water use efficiency over eight years following mountain pine beetle attack in lodgepole pine stands in northern British Columbia 4th International Conference Forests and Water in a Changing Environment, Kelowna, BC, 6-9 July 2015.
- Speratti, A. B., M.S. Johnson, H. Martins Sousa, E. Guimarães Couto. Maize growth as influenced by biochar types and water levels in a Brazilian Arenesol in a greenhouse setting. Poster presentation at the Joint Assembly of the AGU/ CGU, May 3-7, 2015. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Speratti, A.B., M. S. Johnson, H. Martins Sousa, E. Guimarães Couto. O efeito de 12 tipos de biocarvão na quantidade de carbono orgânico dissolvido e nitrato no lixiviado de um Neossolo Quartzarênico. Poster presentation at the Brazilian Congress for Soil Science, August 2-7, 2015. Natal – RN, Brazil.
- Hoffman, D., 2015. A blended learning approach to a forest floor laboratory. Seminar, Soil Science Seminar Series, UBC, Vancouver, BC, 10/03/2015
- Zustovic M “Forest canopy gap size affects the regeneration potential of interior Douglas-fir through environmental properties and mycorrhizal networks” Conference: North American Forest Ecology Workshop (NAFEW 10) Presentation date: June 13, 2015
- Zustovic M “Mycorrhiza! The Game”, Conference: Western mycorrhizal gathering Presentation date: May 10, 2015
- Zustovic M “Regeneration potential of interior Douglas-fir and the role of Mycorrhizal networks in response to different sized forest canopy gaps” Seminar: TerreWEB seminar series Presentation date: March 9, 2015