TerreWEB Seminar Course
TerreWEB SEMINAR COURSE (Directed Study)
SOIL 530 /CONS 503C
3 Credits; Term 1 and 2
Instructors: L.M. (Les) Lavkulich, Suzanne Simard
- Students will gain insights into a breadth of global change science topics through participating in a weekly seminar series;
- Students will learn fundamental science communication skills appropriate to a range of audiences, including oral, visual and written;
- Students will create and develop a communication strategy for their research;
- Students will present research and communication strategies in seminar format and critically evaluate and comment on effective communications of science of global change.
Students enrolled for credit will be required to participate in all sessions, take active role in discussions, prepare short reports on assignments following workshops and serve as chair of speaker events. To obtain credit each student will be required to give a minimum of one (1) presentation. Students registered as audit will be expected to attend and participate in all sessions/workshops and prepare short reports on workshops assignments.
Participation – 35 %
Seminar presentation – 65%
- TerreWEB scholars must register for this course at least once during the duration of their graduate program (credit will only be awarded once).
- Successful completion of this course will award three credits (elective) towards the graduate degree program of the TerreWEB scholar.
- TerreWEB scholars will receive a final mark after Term 2 is completed. There will be a “T” submitted at the end of Term 1 and then final grades will be assigned at the end of Term 2.
- Students may complete the expected requirements (i.e. seminar presentations) over multiple academic years. Three credits will be awarded after all requirements are met.
- Credit will be assessed as partial fulfillment for receipt of TerreWEB certificate.